Update on the Hops

Update on the Hops

So last weekend I trimmed all the lower leaves from the vines. This causes the Hops to “bolt” which is to say, have side strings come out and the additional effect of being a deterent to bugs climbing up the vines. The vines are currently 18 ft high and we ran into some difficulty because the rope supporting all the runners was bowing in the middle. I took the line down and set up a wooden bar but the damage was already done, uneven hop string lengths. Next year I’ll set this assembly up earlier with the strings to get the full 20 ft height.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s